National Cookie Day
It's National Cookie Day! Here's a better for you version of this commonly enjoyed baked good, with moringa powder as one of its ingredients.
Known as the Tree of Life, the Moringa tree is the most nutritious in the world, with most of its benefits stored in its small green leaves. The tree grows in tropical regions, including Sierra Leone, West Africa (where our farm is located). Consumption of the leaves, flowers, bark, fruit, seeds, and roots of this unsuspecting tree can offer plenty of health benefits.*
- Antioxidant properties
- Supplies over 90 nutrients
- Has five times more calcium than milk
- Yields 25 times more iron than that of spinach
- Provides greater vitamin C content than oranges
- Has more protein than yogurt, just to name a few benefits!*
Moringa powder also has a rich vitamin content, including the aforementioned vitamin C, as well as vitamins A, several of the Bs, and E.* You can also get a caffeine-free energy boost by including moringa in your diet.*
These cookies are quite easy to whip up, and can be made with either coconut or white granulated sugar. We hope you enjoy [in moderation, of course ;)]!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or ailment.
Recipe source: gastronomypix.com
- 2 3/4 all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon moringa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir or whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, moringa and baking powders, and chocolate chips (if using). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. The dough will be very stiff. Portion the dough using a small cookie scoop, or into approximately 2-3 teaspoon sized mounds. Place onto ungreased cookie sheets evenly spaced apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let rest on the cookie sheet for two minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.